Hey Shouters !! Today we have come up with the most demanding technology of this decade. In this introduction to python, we will clear all the basic doubts of the python.
This post has the introduction to Python where we will take a look at the basics like how to install it, what are the features, usability as well as the IDE we usually use for python. So let’s start:
Python, like other programming languages has been in limelight quite now. The tremendous success to this language is due to its advantages over the previous languages like versatility, backed by a good open source community and many others.
What is Python?
Python is basically defined as a widely used general purpose, high level programming language.
It came into existence in 1991 by Guido van Rossum. It was made to simple out the code readability. It can be used with various web servers, develop software, connect database as well as handling back data to perform complex operations.
Features of Python-
There are many features that provide it an upper edge over the previous languages:
- Readable: It is easy to read so a person knowing simple English language can also read it and understand it.
- Easy to Learn: It is easy to learn as it is a high level language.
- Platform Independent: This is one of the biggest reasons why python is so popular, it is cross platform and hence can work on your MacOS, Linux a well Windows with ease.
- Open Source: It is an open source community supported language and hence can get regular updates and even you can also develop certain things for it!
- Large Standard Library: It has a large library where it has various functions that create the possibility of computing large and complex results in few lines.
- Free of Cost: Biggest of all ,it a FREE language. Means, you can download it and use it easily.
- Good Memory Management: It has an excellent memory management. It automatically provides and frees the memory when it is not in use.
There are many uses of Python which include: Web Development, Machine Learning, Data Analysis, Scripting, Game Development as well as Desktop Applications. These are some of the areas, where it is used at an enormous level.
Installing Python in Windows-
Installing Python is quite an easy tasks which involves very simple steps.
- Navigate to the Python Official Download Website.
- Click on the yellow button showing Download Python 3.x
- After the download is complete, open it.
- Click on ‘Install Now’ and tick both the boxes below it so that all users can use Python.
- Remember to click setup the PATH as it will help you further.
- After that install it and click Finish when done.
When we did this, we have installed the Python in our PC and we can check it as well by going to the
Start -> Run -> Type cmd(Command Prompt) -> Click OK -> Type ‘Python’ in CMD -> press Enter.
It will show the current version installed along with the path and environment where it is installed. Congratulations, you have successfully installed Python on your PC.
IDE’s of Python-
The next part of this introduction to Python includes how to use Python to write codes. Well, we have either simple Text Editors like Notepad++, Atom, Sublime Text, and many others. We can either use the basic text editors we use for other languages or we can use IDEs as well.
IDE or the “Integrated Development Environment” is a software application that provides facilities to computer programmers for software development. It basically includes code editors, debuggers as well as the build automation tools. IDEs like PyCharm, Spyder, PyDev etc. are some of the popular known IDEs for this purpose.
We will see the installation steps for one of the IDE i.e PyCharm (for Windows):
- Click on the download link under ‘Community’ on this link.
- Once the download is complete, click on .exe file and the prompt should open.
- On next page, change the installation Path and check other things and then click on ‘Install’ and wait till the installation is complete.
- After you click Finish on the Installation Successful page, the new project window of PyCharm will be displayed.
Now, you can easily create projects in Python using PyCharm and can further work on it and share with others as well.
So, in this introduction to python lesson, we did the basic installation and the basic knowledge we need for Python like why it is used, where it is used was given to you on this following blog.
Do check the rest of the blogs as well and we will meet the next time for further work on Python.